We have had reported by a client that when changing the FROM from the pull down when replying or creating an email, it reports “Retrieving templates from server”
To work around the issue, you can select Cancel on the prompt and proceed to choose the From account to send with.
If you urgently need to avoid the prompt, you can try reverting back before the issue started.
Reports show that this issue the problem appeared to start in Version 2206.
To revert the Office M365 Click-to-Run installation to Version 2205:
- Exit all Office applications.
- Click Start, type cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt (or cmd.exe), and then select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt dialog window, type the following two command lines, pressing Enter after each command line:
- cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
- officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.15225.20288
- When the repair dialog box appears, choose Online Repair.
- Select Repair, and then click Repair again.
- When the repair is done, open Outlook and select File > Office Account.
- Select Update Options and choose Disable Updates.
Note: To prevent the version of Office that caused the problem to be re-installed you’ll need to temporarily disable automatic updates.
- Set a reminder to check this article in the future for a resolution. Once you’ve seen that the issue has been fixed, please make sure to re-enable automatic updates in Office again. – Outlook prompts “Retrieving templates from server” after selecting the From field drop down – Microsoft Support
If Build 15225.20288 is not available when you try this workaround, see this article for other builds for Version 2205 you can revert to: Version and build numbers of update channel releases.